The Salem Society
Society members have a strong desire to perpetuate the proud tradition of sharing that has been a part of Naugatuck & Beacon Falls since the beginning. Through their actions, members continue to demonstrate a personal investment in our complex changing community. They understand the art of giving and show their spirit of caring and responsibility. The example set by these extraordinary people, in the spirit of the original “Salem Society” will have a major impact on the future of Naugatuck & Beacon Falls.
The Salem Society of United Way of Naugatuck & Beacon Falls recognizes those individuals who make especially generous gifts. The Society was founded in 1990 by Ron Lengyel and Jeff Witherwax, two prominent members of our community. It was named after Naugatuck’s original name “Salem Society” from 1773. Philanthropy was at its best then and still is now for our community of Naugatuck. In 1774 a town committee including John Hopkins and Samuel Lewis of Salem Society, undertook to collect contributions for the relief of the poor in Boston. Boston had been cut off by the port bill from food supplies that would ordinarily land in Boston. Salem Society responded to the appeal generously. They believed that human caring is the key to a healthy society.
- You can make a gift to the Connecticut Community Foundation through gifts of cash, appreciated stocks, real estate and other assets
- The Foundation sets up a special fund in your name or in the name of the United Way of Naugatuck & Beacon Falls – it’s your choice
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made
- Grants are made directly from your fund to the United Way of Naugatuck & Beacon Falls
- The Foundation handles all administrative details
- You receive updates from the Foundation on the growth of your fund
All gifts to the endowment – whether through the Salem Legacy Fund or your own designated fund – will be invested, and only a portion of the income will be spent, helping to ensure the gift will grow in perpetuity. The income will be invested in our community, assuring that it will always help where it is needed the most.
You and your financial advisors can select a gift that balances your needs, your interest in United Way, and your personal circumstances and wishes. There are many gift-planning options to choose from. Each option can work to provide a substantial gift to United Way and may ensure tax and income advantages to you and/or your heirs.
For more information please contact the United Way office at 203-729-1564.